The parents of 11-month-old Charlie Gard have admitted defeat.
After the parents battled Britain’s medical and legal establishment for months to bring their infant son to the U.S. for potentially life-saving treatment, a lawyer for Chris Gard and Connie Yates told London’s High Court Monday that they would no longer seek to have the terminally ill infant brought to the U.S. because the treatment can no longer help him.
The lawyer representing Charlie Gard's parents told London's High Court that time had "run out" for the child pic.twitter.com/hs4EKLbjGi
— Sky News (@SkyNews) July 24, 2017
“It is no longer in Charlie’s best interests to pursue this course of treatment,” attorney Grant Armstrong told Judge Nicholas Francis.
“Poor Charlie. It is too late. The damage has been done. Sadly time has run out,” the lawyer said. “Sadly the window of opportunity no longer exists. The parents have taken an extremely hard decision.”
— The Daily Signal (@DailySignal) July 24, 2017
Charlie has a rare genetic condition called mitochondrial depletion syndrome, which causes progressive muscle weakness and brain damage. He is being kept alive on life support.
Armstrong said that an American neurologist, Dr. Michio Hiranoh, who had come to Britain to examine the infant last week and held out the hope of an experimental therapy, withdrew that offer after seeing a new MRI.
“Charlie has suffered extensive muscular atrophy,” Armstrong said in court. “This is irreversible even with (nucleoside therapy). Chance of improvement can’t now be delivered.”
“The parents’ worst nightmare have been confirmed,” he added.